jueves, 1 de septiembre de 2016

"¡Hola!" from the other side

The last ten days have been an absolute whirlwind. (Or should I say earthquake? I've already braved my first temblor. OK fine, to be honest I didn't actually notice anything but I did successfully evacuate the university building with everyone else!)

Anyway, SPOILER ALERT: My streak of enviable Instagram posts don't tell the whole story. If you asked me how I was feeling at any point in the past week or so, I could have referred you to this wonderfully accurate gif:
   photo laugh cry gif_zps9us30mar.gif

Although a certain masterpiece of the small screen should have prepared me to expect the unexpected, no part of my experience so far has been exactly what I anticipated. Not to say that it hasn't already been maravilloso in so many ways!

While the jam-packed orientation schedule didn't allow us to explore DF as much as I would have liked (though I did become very familiar with 2 hotel conference rooms and about 10 blocks of Avenida Juarez), it was definitely one of the most official-feeling events I've ever attended. I mean, speeches by embassy representatives and other government officials, fancy name tags, AND endless chocolate croissants?!

But seriously, the presentations really affirmed the significance of this binational initiative at this particular moment in history (#buildbridgesnotwalls, @realDonaldTrump), and made me feel even more honored to be a Fulbright-García Robles grantee.



{Ballet Folklórico at Bellas Artes & Monumento a la Revolución}



The information overload that came with my first few days in México helped distract me from my overwhelming terror nerves regarding the next 9 months of total independence in my host city. [Speaking of independencia, let me take this opportunity to clarify that Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexican Independence Day but rather a commemoration of the Battle of Puebla. TBD if it's even a significant holiday in this state...]

Friday marked the end of orientation and it was a big day for several reasons. First, and most importantly, I made my debut on Mexican television (check out that candid smile at 0:48). And later I met my university contact and she took me back with her to Atlixco!


Awkward smile because I forgot to go in for the cheek beso
The journey from Mexico City to Puebla was more than double the GoogleMaps estimate of 2.5 hours, and I was too tired from traveling to maintain any semblance of conversation en español, especially after being passed off to several strangers and arriving around midnight to my temporary housing (the home of a university student who I now consider a dear amiga).

Nonetheless, upon waking up on that first morning in Atlixco, my spirits were lifted by the decent view outside my window:
Popocatéptl, affectionately known as "Popo"
Despite being absolutely clueless about pretty much everything and consequently emotionally unstable, my first day in this pueblo mágico was really great. I met up with my tutora and a few students who showed me around the historic area and led me on a scenic hike. As I struggled up the cerro, I explained that the elevation was much more than I'd ever been exposed to; unfortunately one of my companions remarked that the altitude of Ciudad de México was actually much higher... #awk.




On Sunday, some of my new friends graciously let themselves be seen with weird-clingy-American-girl, going so far as to invite me over and introducing me to their families. We ate homemade delicacies (memelas omg omg) and then sampled some local treats in the vibrant zócalo, the central plaza which draws a crowd of tourists on the weekends. 

I offered to help make the tortillas but they politely declined...

Among all of the new/unfamiliar/exciting/cool-ness there's certainly some new/unfamiliar/intimidating/confusing-ness, such as figuring out how to navigate this little city by walking dirt roads and riding mini-van combis or looking for somewhere to live that's private but not too lonely. Although most nights I've had minor crises due to feeling unsettled and generally helpless, each day brings fresh discoveries and personal achievements (e.g. less crying in public!!). I expect that I'll find some comfort in the routine of my teaching schedule starting next week, but of course by now I know not to trust my expectations!


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario