viernes, 16 de septiembre de 2016

"Don't Happy, Be Worry"

Of all the comically nonsensical English graphic tees I've seen while traveling the world, this one might take the cake. I'm really hoping that whoever mixed up this classic lyric did so intentionally, although I am almost positive that the wearer of said t-shirt was unaware of the error.

Regardless of how this hilarious piece of apparel came to be, it actually prompted some valuable reflection on my part. This last week brought its fair share of wonderfully weird and (now) laughably awful moments, and believe it or not this silly shirt reminded me to step back and marvel at how lucky I am to be here, because too often I indeed "be worry" more than I "do happy."
I was forced into this photo op
For your reading pleasure, I present a review de la semana pasada:

Friday: Mariposa social

I spend so much time on my own here that any social interaction is a personal victory. Needless to say, a day with several consecutive plans is *Donald Trump voice* h u g e. 

I was waiting in the university library on Friday morning, regretting that I had woken up early on my day off to provide a tutoring session when it appeared that no one was going to attend. One student eventually came in to suggest that I use a classroom for the session instead. Turns out the whole class wanted to participate! The result: a chaotic game of Apples to Apples in which the students were either extremely creative or horribly confused (e.g. pairings like bitter + unicorn or president + painful). 

Next I met my tutor in the centro to look at apartments and visit the primary school where I'm going to volunteer. I chatted with some very enthusiastic teachers who told me many things I didn't quite understand, but I think it's going to be fun? Plus I got to meet my tutor's adorable daughter (who soon afterward took me by the hand to cross the street, oh my heart!).

Later in the day the librarian from the university took me to see a place her niece is renting. It's unfurnished and far away from everything but yay for nice people who want to help me! The search continues...

After that I met my former housemate and friend (!!) in the zócalo to drink chocolate and listen to live music. Since I don't venture out much after dark, I had yet to see downtown come alive at night:

I returned to the house, which was totally quiet. Thinking everyone had retired for the night, I put on my pajamas and settled in for a night of Gilmore Girls (don't worry, I now watch with Spanish subtitles so it's a slightly educational experience). The family returned and insisted I join them outside for dinner and s'mores, so I shuffled out in my sleepwear to hang out with la familia and-- much to my surprise-- a small group of neighbors... 

Saturday: Road trip or progressive meal?

When my host family invited me on their weekend trip, I decided to take them up on the offer because a) it might be a cultural adventure and b) what else would I do? So we all set off for Chiautla on Saturday morning (hours later than planned, it appears the McSwains aren't the only manada de tortugas). Squeezed into the backseat with two squirming boys who kept asking ¿cuánto falta? and riding down dirt highways riddled with ditches and boulders could have been straight up miserable, but between the naps and food stops mis hermanitos and I were kept full and content.

Instead of exits full of fast food options, the comida rápida here consists of pulling up next to a roadside stand that sells whatever you're craving. Our first indulgence was elote (think NC State Fair corn on the cob plus chili powder), followed by raspados:

Shaved ice & canned peaches? Weirdly delicious.

Not until halfway through the fruity snow cone did I stop to wonder if the ice was made from purified water. I settled in for the rest of the trip hoping my body didn't reject the refreshing dessert...

Our destination (some relative's home?) was a gorgeous limón farm out in the country. Soon more relatives arrived and I proceeded to sit quietly and smile along to the 5-hour-long conversation, while helping to prepare and devour lunch:

Meet the delicious pambazo. Kinda like a sloppy joe? Also my latest frenemy because it may or may not have made me ill. 
At one point we had some downtime, and I continued reading Quiet on my Kindle (an ironic yet excellent way to avoid small talk-- go Susan Cain and go introverts!).
Playing the photo obsessed tourist is another convenient way to escape awkward group dynamics
On the car ride back we added two young cousins to our five-person car, but I managed to sleep despite the extra elbows. 

We spent the night in Izúcar de Matamoros with some friends of the family, but not before grabbing some tacos at a local joint (dun dun dun).

Sunday: Literalmente no puedo

Long story short (i.e. edited for gross content), I became very sick on Sunday morning. The jury's out as to whether my "overindulgence" in the *gasp* two pambazos was to blame, or maybe the cilantro on my taco wasn't washed properly, or maybe the ice wasn't safe... Who knows. After an awful few hours of illness in a new acquaintance's home, I took some meds and got ready for our day trip to the Ex-Hacienda de Chautla. Though I was obviously not feeling my best, I can't deny the beauty of the castillo and surrounding park.

This photo is brought to you by Pepto Bismol

Can you spot the gringa? Doubt it.
Fountain made from calavera

School week:

To keep from rambling too much (more), here are some pictures to sum up my time at the university this past week.
Gotta love that walk from the house to the combi stop
Early morning combi rides= 5 pesos. Window views of Popo= priceless! 
BUAP-Atlixco, my host institution
Maestra in action
Quote by my idol Freire on the classroom wall!!
Field trip to a partner campus! As you'll see, my co-chaperone loves taking photos...
She directed this photo shoot
Mali and a mermaid


When they put you in charge but you don't know what's going on lol
Felicidades if you made it this far! Don't worry, (be happy!) a holiday-themed post is close behind I'm just too lazy to keep writing. ¡Hasta pronto!


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario