jueves, 8 de septiembre de 2016

Capitalizing



Last weekend I felt a twinge of jealousy when I realized that everyone in los Estados Unidos (except for those in the land of ceaseless rigor that is Davidson College, of course) would be getting Monday off for Labor Day. I suppose that reaction is slightly unreasonable given that I technically have a 3-day weekend every week (but FOMO has no logic amirite?!). I've already been roped into some Friday-morning tutoring and volunteering commitments, but for the most part I'll be using that time to explore locally and travel around the country.

The need to file some paperwork at the migration office made the choice of where to spend my first free weekend an easy one. I boarded a bus to Puebla on Friday morning, fully prepared for my residencia request to be denied based on any number of pointless bureaucratic policies. Miraculously, the process went off without a hitch (I even managed to make a new friend!), and I set off to tour the capital city. 


According to my iPhone pedometer, I ended up walking more than 10 miles that day (hashtag fitness goals). This is either impressive or embarrassing when you take into account that I only covered a teeny area surrounding the zócalo. I always abide by the number one rule of touristing: walk with purpose, even if you have no idea where you are. In this case, I essentially "walked with purpose" in circles for 5ish consecutive hours... But my solo wandering was thoroughly enjoyable, since I found amazing architecture, adorable craft markets, and other ~*cultural*~ delights around every corner. 

Capilla del Rosario





"Testimonios de Fe," an amazing exhibit of retablos in Museo Amparo


Being in the city also allowed me to reconnect with other Fulbrighters in my region (aka commiserate about the hard transition and grant each other permission to give into our pizza cravings). My mentor, a second-year ETA, let me stay with her in the nearby hipster town of Cholula, home to the world's largest pyramid, which is now covered over by a church-topped hill.



Started from the bottom of the cerro now we here


I felt súper accomplished going into my first real week in Atlixco with two cool destinations already under my belt, and my self-esteem has only increased this week as I am now referred to as miss or maestra by students, coworkers, and strangers alike. I'm definitely starting to find a ritmo, especially when it comes to my role at the university (more on that some other time).  



To close, I'll say that the whole "give your teacher an apple" thing is much, uh, spicier here in México. [Disclaimer: I purchased this manzana con chamoy from a student, but the sentiment is the same, right?] 





No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario