miércoles, 14 de diciembre de 2016

Se me antoja...

Me, always

In true Malissa "Gordita" McSwain fashion, I am not shy about how much I like food (in general and in this country specifically). In fact, this is my response whenever someone asks me my favorite thing about México. Then I proceed to list a dozen or so especially delicious dishes, mention my obsession with fresh tortillas ("I bet I could eat a whole kilo in one sitting!"), and joke about how my stomach hasn't quite adjusted so I'm still not able to handle lo picante. Whoever I'm talking to usually takes all of this in with an expression of pride and/or concern for my health, and this is how I know my point has been made. 

That is, me encanta la comida mexicana.

If the noms themselves are my #1, my second favorite thing about México is that there's a whole genre of food called antojitos-- "little cravings" (not to be confused with Cravings© by my girl Chrissy)-- that encompasses pretty much everything worth eating. Not to mention that these platillos usually go for 10 to 40 pesos (50 cents to $2). 

Sure, these items aren't really meant to be consumed on a regular basis, but grabbing a tostada or some chalupas is typically cheaper than cooking, so sometimes a girl's gotta make the economical choice.

I tend to devour my food before remembering to document it, but here's a taste (pun intended) of what I've enjoyed over the past few months:

Memelas

A student's mom sells these on the weekends, and I can easily wolf down several (but she doesn't let me pay so I feel guilty exceeding two)

Tostadas

You try eating one of these and using less than 17 napkins

Pozole


Chilaquiles


Pambazos


Gorditas


 Enchiladas

This is a typical school breakfast, sold at the on-campus food stand for less than two dollars (!!!!)

Tortas


Queso fundido 

Yes, that's a socially acceptable vat of hot cheese

Hamburguesas

Not technically "Mexican," but my student has a cart on my street and treats me to a burger (with cheese, pineapple, ham, bacon, lettuce, and sweet dressing) whenever I'm in the mood for one *praise hands*



It's no secret that soy dulcera, and I've been keeping my sweet tooth quite happy.
Make-your-own ice cream flavor + unlimited toppings

mango + tajín + chamoy <3 

Sometimes you just need a lil coffee and carrot cake

Eskimos (somewhere between a milkshake and chocolate milk)

I do occasionally cook for myself, so-- as they say here in Mexico-- I'm officially ready to get married (come at me boys):




Then there was that time my students had to host a 5-course Italian feast for their final project. The perks of teaching at a university where they offer a major in tourism...






Could hardly contain my excitement

El Corral, Chipotle, and Taco Bell will always have a special place in my heart stomach, but frankly those enchiladas, burritos, and crunch wraps have no resemblance to what I'm eating here (thus they all appear on my official Christmas break bucket list). Is the Fulbright 15 50 a thing? Oh well, my diet starts tomorrow. And by tomorrow I mean 2017. And by 2017 I mean next summer, obviously.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario