jueves, 11 de mayo de 2017

it's a celebración

My ongoing mission throughout this year has been to get more involved in my local community (a goal that goes beyond being known as the gringa flaquita who turns bright red in Zumba class). I feel like in my other abroad experiences I spent too much time with other extranjeros and missed out on some cool ~cultural experiences~ typically reserved for close friends and family, so this time around I really wanted to get that insider's perspective. 

Thus, I am pleased to announce that after eight long months some poblanos took pity on the overeager weirdo and invited me to several events that have given me a glimpse into some of the most traditional Mexican celebrations. 

QUINCEAÑERA 

Buenas noticias for me and any other US Americans who find themselves in the middle of the dance floor at a stranger's 15th birthday blowout: YMCA is universal party tune. That's right, a few basic-but-enthusiastic arm motions were all I needed to feel in my element as I boogied along with hundreds of high schoolers and relatives.

I'm not sure how my student convinced her cousin to include me in her special day, but in all my excitement I didn't think to question it. Despite not meeting the quinceañera herself until the night of the fiesta, I was tearing up just as much as her parents and padrinos during sentimental moments like the slideshow and father-daughter waltz. At some point between the four-course meal, choreographed performances, and Mexican version of the "Cupid Shuffle," I decided that I will be hosting my XXV in 2019. Hashtag My Super Sweet Twenty Five!





PRIMERA COMUNIÓN 

A few short days after that party, I was part of a milestone occasion for two kids I've been tutoring all year. Unfortunately the Catholic liturgy isn't as easy to pick up as the quinceañera line dances, so for most of the mass I stood in silent confusion well everyone else crossed themselves and recited the appropriate phrases. Nonetheless, the end of the service was really moving as each child's godparents gave them a Bible and accompanied them to the communion table for the first time. More tearing up on my part, naturally. 




Día de la Madre

In the past I've complained that calendar holidays in Mexico are taken a bit too seriously (like please can we all agree Valentine's Day does not require that much hype?), but who can argue with making a huge deal out of Mother's Day?! I attended the elementary school's big show for las mamás yesterday, and I loved getting caught up in the festivities (which involved each class wearing adorable coordinated outfits and presenting a song/dance/poem).




CINCO DE MAYO

And for all my talk about doing my thing without foreign friends, I got my turista on last weekend to catch the 5 de Mayo parade in Puebla with some other Fulbrighters. Feel free to scroll past the low-quality pictures, but do me a favor and watch this video about the true significance of day. Spoiler alert: it's celebrated more in the US than in most parts of Mexico. 





One month from today I'll be back in los Estados Unidos. Let's see how much more culture I can swoop in on during my last weeks here!!

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario