lunes, 7 de noviembre de 2016

CDMX101

When I visited Mexico City last month I was determined to hit as many of the "must-see" spots as I could, so trying to document that weekend has proven to be almost as exhausting as the trip itself (and way less fun). But I certainly can't let all of my touristy snapshots go to waste, so here's a rundown of my expeditious sight-seeing.

Popotla & Santa María la Ribera

This lesser-known residential area might not make it onto the typical itinerary, but my fellow ETA Gabi showed me the best of her 'hood feat. picturesque parks and good eats (sope de cochinita pibil-- basically NC BBQ, I kid you not-- followed by a chocolate scone, ¿por qué no?). 



Bosque de Chapultepec

The castillo in this urban greenspace ranks number three on TripAdvisor's list of CDMX attractions, but it's the largest city park in the Western Hemisphere which made meeting up with our crew a liiiittle complicated. But never fear, we found each other AND found an amateur photographer who was all too eager to capture our High School Musical moment.





Polanco

Nothing wrong with livin' la vida fresa every once in a while! 


Zócalo

Feria del Libro

The stars aligned and the metro popped me out right into the middle of a huge book fair. My 8th grade kickball nickname wasn't "Book nerd" for nothing!


La Catedral

Is the building gorgeous? Yes. Was I uncomfortable that the other tourists were taking pictures of the in-progress mass? Also yes. Was I disturbed by the souvenir penny press machines? Let's just say I think Jesus would have flipped those babies over like the money changers' tables.





Palacio Nacional

Get this: entry is FREE and includes access to several huge Diego Rivera murals and the current contemporary art exhibit. I think I almost had a meet-cute with an attractive local who was also perusing the museum alone, but then he caught me red-handed taking some dorky selfies.





Templo Mayor

At the risk of sounding totally unappreciative of ancient history, I'll admit I was a bit underwhelmed by the temple ruins (maybe I was just under-caffeinated at this point?). But it is awesome that the archeological site is right in the middle of downtown.




Torre Latinoamericana 

Intent on getting my money's worth, I spent a good 10 minutes taking panoramas of the city before I realized I was only on the restaurant level and I hadn't even reached the main overlook. I may have been better off calling it quits there anyway, because they only have one six-person elevator to transport the masses to the top, and I'm pretty sure I almost passed out while waiting in line. All's well that ends well?



Coyoacan

Centro

Fulbrighter and fellow North Carolinian Katelyn lives in this famous neighborhood, so we spent the evening and following morning wandering through the vibrant area. Unexpected but amusing plus: stumbling across a Michael Jackson impersonator who was entertaining a huge crowd with a questionable rendition of "Thriller." 


Casa Azul

Visiting Frida and Diego's home was probably my favorite part of the weekend. Their eccentric living space gives a fascinating glimpse into their life together. Though initially I glared at those without photo passes who were illegally snapping pics, I soon became one of them... 
La cocina


Frida's back braces
Sin duda it was a successful introductory tour of Mexico City! But I'm already brainstorming an itinerary for the next time around. (Museo de Antropología, I'm coming for you one day!)




No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario