viernes, 7 de octubre de 2016

Atlixcayotl



Before I could even correctly say the name of my host city (still unclear whether it's best to fully pronounce the x, a la "at-leex-co,"or go with the more suave "at-lease-co"), I was introduced to this even more challenging tongue twister. Huey Atlixcayotl is the biggest local cultural event of the year, attracting people from throughout the state and beyond to el cerro de San Miguel to watch a series of traditional dances that represent the surrounding pueblos. That's about where my comprehension of this festival ends, although I did learn that, weirdly enough, it was started in the sixties by an American anthropologist who was passionate about preserving indigenous customs. So it looks like the pressure's on for me, Atlixco's resident estadounidense, to leave a lasting legacy (if being a regular at the corner coffee shop counts I've already got this in the bag).







After hours of dancing it was time for the voladores, who carried out the most impressive/insane/nausea-inducing feat I've ever witnessed in my life. They ascended a massive pole (which hardly appeared strong enough to bear their collective weight) without any sort of harness, then one of them balanced on top and demonstrated several heart-stopping hops, before the others began their flying stunt. Un. Real.







Apart from enjoying the amazing spectacle in and of itself, I was thrilled to have two fellow Fulbrighters from Puebla join me for the festivities. Not only did their visit give me permission to go into full-on tourist-mode for a day, but their fascination with Atlixco helped me see my city with new eyes! Sappy but cierto.







No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario