domingo, 31 de agosto de 2014

Fragmentos

YUM!


Though my host family loves to remind me that I'm going to engordar, I've made the executive decision to take advantage of Buenos Aires' incredible food scene while I can. And yeah yeah I know no one else really cares what I've been feasting on for the last few days (por eso I have shown impressive restraint when it comes to #foodgrams, if I do say so myself), but considering that I probably spend the majority of my time here eating I think these moments are worth documenting. 

Waffle (woff-lay) with blueberries and cream cheese at Mooi
Mooi
Goat cheese (+ several other irrelevant ingredients) salad at Le Pain Quotidien
French toast, bagel sandwich, eggs, and bacon (REAL BREAKFAST!) at Café Crespin

Not pictured because I was too busy stuffing my face and forgot to take a photo

Fugazza (cheese and onion pizza) at Los Maestros
Philly cheesesteak (¡!) at El Banco Rojo
Dulce de leche churro from a street vendor in San Telmo 
Every single insanely delicious meal at my homestay (homemade pastas, empanadas, and desserts to name a few)

It's also worth noting that I've begun a self-imposed challenge to try out Argentina's Top 10 Candies , and I have made embarrassingly good progress within the last week. To be continued...

FUERZA BRUTA


On Friday we went to the most entertaining/fun/inexplicable espectáculo that I've ever experienced. We had been told that it was a cirque-de-soleil-esque show, but none of us really understood what we were walking into until we were (literally) in the middle of it. At the beginning, the audience stands in a nondescript room in almost complete darkness and then as the performance unfolds everyone has to shift positions to see/participate in the next part. Like I said it's pretty hard to explain but this might help:

Also these pictures I stole from Eliot:



MÁS...


This morning my host parents and I went to the famous Usina del Arte in la Boca to take in what was advertised as a classical music concert. I was feeling tan sofisticada until the musicians began to play; instead of the traditional arrangements I had expected, the concert consisted of what was more or less intentional cacophony (like clashing notes/rhythms, random pauses, spoken and electronic elements...), so I spent the rest of the concert wondering how to politely express my impressions to my host parents afterward (my best plan: "¡Era... interesante!"). However, gracias a Dios, they were thoroughly confused as well and we all shared a good laugh about it! 


Then this afternoon I explored the lovely San Telmo street market with Natalie, Kasey, and Casey. La feria spans many, many blocks (this is just the very end) and is a popular tourist attraction. It's always a pleasure to peruse the antiques/art/souvenirs, and it's also a great opportunity to make fun of the other gringos who aren't blending in as much as we like to think we are (a distinction which is probably an illusion, but at least we speak castellano in public!).





No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario